photo taken 1907
[click on any photo to enlarge/shrink]
Captain Laughlin McIntosh acquired this property at the time of the lottery in 1821 along with 250 acres. After he died, his widow sold to Benjamin Cleveland, who subsequently sold to E.P. Williams. He built his home, "Oak Hill", and lived here until the late 1800's.
The Green family then bought the property and built a hotel. The Greens then sold to the Alleys in 1896. The hotel burned less than a year after the Alleys bought it. Coleman Alley's grandfather, William Henry Clay Alley, rebuilt in 1897, supposedly on the same foundation.
photos taken 1907
It was operated as the Alley Hotel from 1897 until the early 1900's. Guests were brought over from the Demorest train station in a beautiful gold, black, and red fringed surrey!