Nacoochee Methodist Church
original "White Church"
[click on photo to enlarge/shrink]
The first white settlers arrived in Nacoochee Valley in 1822 and purchased land from the Indians. Twelve years later in 1834, six acres of that land were deeded to the trustees of Nacoochee Methodist Church for a church building and cemetery. The church building was completed in 1836 and stood for over 100 years until it was destroyed by fire on the first Sunday of May in 1943.
The very next morning, before the ashes had cooled, men and mules were busy clearing away the debris. A new red brick sanctuary was completed that same year.
Additions have been made to the red brick sanctuary and today it serves the Nacoochee United Methodist Church.